A blackberry-flavored liqueur or brandy-based spirit made from wild blackberries, sometimes with other berries, which are macerated and infused in alcohol.
Here is an easy recipe for making Blackberry Liqueur from fresh or frozen blackberries. It is a wonderful liqueur praised by all that have tried it.
* 3 cups of fresh or frozen whole blackberries
* 3 cups of 80 proof Vodka: cheapest brand available
* 1 cup of white granulated sugar
* 1 cup of water
1. Add 1 cup of water and three cups of sugar to a clean saucepan and heat slowly. Stir all the while until sugar is dissolved creating sugar syrup.
2. Cool syrup to room temperature.
3. Procure a wide mouth gallon glass jar with screw lid. Wash jar and lid.
4. Clean without leaving any detergent residue. Add the three cups of uncrushed blackberries to the jar. Then add the three cups of Vodka and the sugar syrup.
5. Screw on the lid tightly and invert the jar several times in order to mix the contents. DO NOT STIR…it may crush the berries.
6. Place the jar in a cool dark place and leave for 10 days.
7. Strain out the berries into a clean glass container. DO NOT CRUSH OR SQUEEZE BERRIES. Now strain the berries first, through a colander, then re-strain through a fine wire kitchen strainer and finally through a clean, white, tightly woven cloth. You should have a clear ruby red liqueur……a delight to behold.
8. Wash thoroughly two empty 4/5 quart whiskey bottles and one pint bottle. All should have screw caps. Soak bottles in warm water to remove all labels.
9. Using a small funnel, fill the fifths within ¾” of the top. Put any remaining liqueur into the pint bottle. Cap all three bottles tightly.
10. Store bottles in a cool, dark place to age. The liqueur can be drunk at any time but definitely improve with age.